"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Roepeke, Chris H. who for 25 years has been known to the citizens of rhinelander, and to many others throughout Oneida County, as a proprietor of a well stocked and reliable harness store, was born in Outagamie County, Wis., Nov. 22, 1871, son of Chris H. and Sophia (LIBSTORF) ROEPEKE. The parents were farmers who had come to this country from Germany in the late 60's, and both of whom are now deceased. Chris H. ROEPEKE, who was an infant when he arrived in this country, was educated in the district school, and from the time he was able to be of use until he was 14 he was engaged in assisting his father. He then went to Seymour, Wis., where he entered a shop to learn the harness business, and he was thus occupied as apprentice and journeyman in that place for four years. After that he spent four years at his trade in Milwaukee. In the spring of 1894 he came to Rhinelander and went to work in a sawmill operated by George CLAYTON, where he also spent four years, in 1898 establishing himself in the harness business in this city in a shop located on W. Davenport Street, between Brown and Stevens. There he remained until 1914, when he erected his present store building at 137 S. Stevens Street--a building 20x50 feet in ground dimensions. He deals in light and heavy harness, robes, blankets and staple supplies. Mr. ROEPEKE has identified himself closely with the business and social life of Rhinelander, being ever ready to lend a helping hand in advancing local interests. He has also served efficiently in public office--14 years as a member of the city council and several years on the school board. As a Free Mason he belongs to the Blue Lodge and Chapter in Rhinelander, and is also a member of the local Odd Fellows' lodge. His exertions in the business field have brought him a fair pecuniary reward and he is the owner of 40 acres of land on the north side of the city, besides a find residence at No. 727 Dorr Avenue. Mr. ROEPEKE was married in 1891, at Milwaukee, to Matilda BUETOW, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Herman BUETOW, and he ans his wife are the parents of three children, Myrtle, Harvey and Crystal, all residing at home. The family are affiliated religiously with the Congregational Church, Mrs. ROEPEKE being also a member of the Ladies' Aid Society.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 336,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator