"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Rogers, Frank W. a very prominent pioneer resident of Minocqua and first chairman of the Vilas County board, was born in southern Michigan, Oct. 3, 1863, son of Henry and Margaret (ROWLEY) ROGERS. The parents were natives of the state of New York, and Henry ROGERS' father helps to build the Erie Canal; the parents were married in Michigan and the father died there in 1869; the mother married Andrew STRANAHAN in 1889, who died in 1915; she is now living at Romeo, Mich. Frank W. ROGERS attended school in Michigan and came to Merrill, Wis., on Nov. 14, 1881, going to work as a teamster in the woods for the Averill & Derrig Lumber Co. The following spring he went to work as a scaler in the Comstock mill, and later he operated a bolting saw in the Island Shingle mill at Wausau. In 1884 he started cruising for the Comstock Land Co. (later known as the Wisconsin River Land Co.), and in 1885 he engaged in the same work for the Land, Log & Lumber Co. He came to Minocqua in 1886, when the village was in its earliest infancy, and has ever since made it his home. He resigned his position with the timber operations in 1888 and with Harvey SELLICK purchased the Minocuqa Hotel, which they operated in partnership for the following seven and a half years. Mr. ROGERS sold his interests to Mr. SELLICK at the expiration of that time, and in April, 1895, purchased the farm which has since been his home, consisting of 100 acres of fertile land just outside the village of Minocuqa. He has erected a fine ten-room house and a barn 40x60 feet in dimensions furnished with modern barn equipment and with a concrete basement, and he carried on dairy farming on this property for 12 years. At the same time he also operated a meat market, after which he did some logging and farming. Mr. ROGERS owns a 610-acre tract of virgin timber on Lake Minocqua and another 480-acre tract in Iron County. His long career in Minocqua has been a most valuable asset to the welfare of the village. As previously mentioned, he served as the first chairman of the county board of supervisors of Vilas County, and he has also served four years as supervisor on the Minocqua town board and two terms as its treasurer. raternally he is affiliated with the Masons and Elks, in the former belonging to the Blue Lodge at Minocqua and the Rhinelader chapter of Royal Arch Masons; in the Elks he is a member of the Rhinelander lodge, No. 548. Mr. ROGERS was married at Eau Claire, Wis., Jan. 9, 1895, to Agnes DAIGLE, daughter of James and Florence (GHITHBUELT) DAIGLE. Mrs. ROGERS' parents were natives of Van Buren, Maine, and came from there to Wisconsin in 1884, settling at Chippewa Falls, where they spent the remainder of their lives; the father died Jan 28, 1886, and the mother July 22, 1913. Mrs. ROGERS is a member of the Catholic Church and the family are highly respected by all who know them, being numbered among the most prominent of Oneida County's citizens.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 333-334,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co.
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator