"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Samways, Herbert J. who for a good many years has been established in the contracting business in Rhinelander as mason and builder, in which line of enterprise he has gained a solid reputation, was born in England, Feb. 13, 1861, son of John and Emily (PARKER) SAMWAYS. The parents were engaged in the dairy business, which they conducted on a large scale. Neither now are living. Herbert J. SAMWAYS acquired what education he got by attending night school during the winter months, as his parents having separated when he was young, and the mother continuing to operate the dairy farm, he was obliged to assist her and had little opportunity for attending a regular school. In 1879, a youth of 18, he came to America, landing at Halifax, N. S., and going directly to St. Louis, Mo., where he learned the mason's trade, remaining there for three years. He then traveled for six years, working at his trade in various states. In the early spring of 1888 he came to Rhinelander, Wis., and for a short time after his arrival was engaged in railroad work, after which he resumed his trade. The first mason work he did here was on the Webster E. BROWN residence. Later in the same year he entered into contract work, in which he has since continued, with the exception of about two years which he spent on a farm he owned in Lincoln County, a tract of 400 acres, of which he cleared 40 acres. This farm, which is now one of the best in Lincoln County, he sold in 1919, resuming his contracting business. He has done work on most of the large buildings in Rhinelander, including the paper mill, the Rhinelander Refrigerator Co.'s plant, the Merchants Band building, the Wilson Mercantile Co.'s building and the Oneida County Jail, besides many fine residences, and the Thunder Lake Lumber Co.'s mill, and has established the reputation of being one of the best stone and brick masons in Oneida County. In 1899 he built for himself a fine eight-room brick house at 803 Keenan Street; he also owns a cottage on Manson Lake, which he has just completed. He is a member of the Episcopal Church and belongs fraternally to the local lodge of Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. SAMWAYS was married Dec. 11, 1897, at Wausau, Wis., to Emily GARSKE, who was born in that city May 26, 1876, her parents, Mr. and Mrs. F. W. GARSKE, being prominent residents there.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 415,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator