"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Sisson, John proprietor of Sisson's Resort on Little St. Germain Lake, Vilas county, was born at Seneca Falls, New York, Dec. 4, 1888. He acquired his education in the public schools of his native place and left home at the age of 14 years to make his own way in the world, coming directly to the territory comprised in Oneida and Vilas Counties. Here, in one place or another, he has since made his home, except for a period which he spent in traveling which took him into every state in the Union and into the Dominion of Canada. For many years he was engaged in guiding and trapping and he also at times worked in the woods at logging, all familiar occupations in this region. In 1913 Mr. SISSON engaged in the summer resort business, buying three acres of land on Little St. Germain Lake and established the Sisson Resort, later buying additional land, erecting buildings and developing a fine place. His main lodge was 20x56 feet, having an addition 18x24 feet, and his accommodations were increased by ten cottages. There he did a thriving business until the spring of 1922, when he sold the property to E. PERRAULT. It then included the original three acres, another lot of 50x210 feet, a 30-acre tract of land, a 40-acre tract, and a lake frontage of 100 feet. In the fall of 1922 Mr. SISSON started the resort which he is now managing, which also bears his name, and adjoins the Perrault Resort. The lodge of his present place has a surface area of 24x50 feet. It is provided with a ten-foot screened porch, 24 feet wide, in front, and a similar eight-foot porch in the rear. He also has four fine cottages of four rooms each, five acres of land with lake frontage and fine grounds, and his equipment of out-buildings and the various necessities or conveniences of a popular resort is full and ample. Among them should be mentioned a lake fleet of nine boats of the Rhinelander make, suitable for attaching motors. He raises or provides his own vegetables, cream, milk, butter and poultry, and furnishes guides for tourists. Besides building the two resorts mentioned, Mr. SISSON erected the entire set of buildings on the island in High Lake for William PAQUETTE. A well known and popular citizen, he was served in the offices of town clerk and constable. Mr. SISSON was married Oct. 7, 1911, to Anna NEIMEYER and they are the parents of one child, Margaret.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 480-481 (with picture),
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator