"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Staub, Christian F. a well-known farmer and dairyman of the town of Schley, Lincoln County, of which he is a pioneer, was born at Danville, Livingston County, N. Y., Feb. 1, 1864, son of Nicholas and Pauline STAUB, the parents being natives of Germany. Nicholas STAUB came to the United States with his parents when 12 years old, the family settling on a farm in New York State, and it was there that he was later married. In 1867 he came with his family to Wisconsin, locating in Oshkosh, where he worked in the mills, and where he and his wife spent the rest of their days. Mrs. STAUB died many years before her husband, in November, 1874, he dying in March, 1900, while he was on a visit to his sons in Lincoln County. They had eight children, six of whom are now living, namely: Kate, who married Reinhold BEYER and is now residing a widow at Dixon, Ill.; Louise, who married Charles MILLER, whom she survives, and now lives on a farm in Winnebago County, Wis., having three children, Joseph, John and Francis; and Fred, John N., Frank and Christian F. Those who died were Pauline and Mary, the latter being a nun in St. Francis' convent at Milwaukee. Christian F. STAUB was three years old when he accompanied his parents to Oshkosh, where he was reared and attended school. Later he worked in the sawmills of the Payne Lumber Co. and the firm of Platt & Hilliston. In the fall of 1882 he and his eldest brother, John N., came to Merrill, Lincoln County, putting up at the old Patsie House, and set out to prospect for a homestead in what is now the town of Schley, but which was then in the original town of Jenny and later (1885) in that of Russell. As Christian was then too young, his brother located the land, a tract of 120 acres covered with hemlock and hardwood timber. They built a log shanty 12x15 feet in size and hauled lumber for a roof, which they put on the day before Christmas. Then on Christmas Day, 1882, they plastered the crevices with mud. The principal article of furniture with which they began was a dry-goods box, which formed their table, but soon after they put in a stove - at the time a most necessary article - and a little regular furniture. Christian then started clearing the land, that winter cutting the timber from three acres on it, which tract was planted in the spring. He continued his operations until he had 40 acres cleared. He then sold 90 acres to the Heineman Lumber Co. and bought 40 acres more adjoining the 30 he had left from his first purchase, and was therefore the owner of 70 acres, which he subsequently developed. His buildings, however, were burned in what is known as the big Heineman fire and he replaced them by building a nice frame house and barn and farmed there until 1919. He then sold the place of 72 acres and bought nine and a half acres of "popple," or poplar brush, situated opposite his old farm and next to the 30-acre tract. This he cleared up, building on it a modern stucco house of eight rooms and bath, with furnace heat, hot and cold water and other conveniences; also a modern barn supplied with the Warner equipment, and with full basement and cement floor. Here he is still located and is successfully carrying on general farming and dairying, keeping 15 head of grade Jersey cattle with a registered sire. He is considered one of the best authorities in Lincoln County as to the proper care and feeding of cattle in order to produce the best milk results. He is a stockholder in the Gleason State Bank. For one year he served in the office of town supervisor and for many years was treasurer of School District No. 2. Mr. STAUB began domestic life on Nov. 12, 1892, when he was married at Merrill to Ada FULLER, daughter of Henry and Susan FULLER, the former a previous resident of Illinois and the latter of Michigan. The Fullers came to Merrill in 1874, taking a homestead where the Scott mansion now stands, and there they farmed and had a dairy from which they sold milk to Merrill families. Mr. FULLER, who also opened and ran the first meat market in Merrill, died in 1909 at the home of his daughter, Mrs. STAUB. The latter's mother is still living. There were but two children in the Fuller family, Ada, now Mrs. C. F. STAUB, and Emery, who is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. STAUB are the parents of the one child, Florence.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 709-710,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator