"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Stumpner, Louis A. proprietor of the Stumpner Wood Working Factory at Rhinelander, Oneida County, was born in Waushara County, Wis., not far from the post office of Poy Sippi, on April 14, 1865. His parents, Paul and Barbara (METZ) STUMPNER, were natives of Germany who came to this country when young and were married in Wisconsin. They settled near Poy Sippi post office, Waushara County, about 1860 and spent the remainder of their lives there engaged in farming. Louis A. STUMPNER was educated in the public school at Saxville, Waushara County, and lived with his parents until 16 years old. His first work was for a contractor in a rural community, and after that he worked two and a half years for the Green Lake Granite Co. at Utley, Wis., having charge of the billing and shipping of cars of crushed rock and paving blocks, which were mostly shipped to Chicago. He next went to Berlin, Wis., where until the spring of 1887 he worked at the carpenter's trade. On April 30, that year, he arrived in Rhinelander, which was then a small hamlet, though it was in the same year that the Oneida County court house was built here. Mr. STUMPNER worked that year for a contractor, after which he began contracting on his own account and was thus engaged for three years. He then bought a half interest in a wood-working business and a year later purchased his partner's interest, for two year subsequently conducting that business in connection with general contracting. At the end of that time he gave up contracting and has since given his whole attention to his wood-working factory, which is situated at the foot of Rives Street. He is engaged largely in the manufacture of window and door frames and builders' supplies, with cabinet work as a specialty. He also makes all the wood patterns for the Rhinelander foundry. His shop is fuller equipped with all the necessary machinery and appliances for carrying on his business to the best advantaged and he has established a reputation for good and reliable work. His own residence, which he located at No. 205 E. Anderson Street, was built by himself. Aside from his manufacturing interests, he owns a fine tract of virgin timber on the North Pelican chain of lakes, where he has a fine summer cottage. This tract contains 90 acres, a part of which is lake frontage. He also owns 40 acres of timber land six miles north of Rhinelander. Mr. STUMPNER served as councilman from the Second Ward for ten years and was a member of the first city council of Rhinelander. He also served one year as a member of the school board. He was married in Rhinelander, May 16, 1888, to Minnie Miller, of Bear Creek, Outagamie County, Wis., where he was born March 16, 1864. Their children are: Martha, now Mrs. John E. GOULETTE of Milwaukee; Raymond, cashier of the Conrath State Bank at Conrath, Rusk County, Wis.; and Maude, residing with her parents, who is engaged in teaching.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 406-407,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator