"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Sutton, John W. owner of the Sutton farm in the town of Minocqua, Oneida County, and for many years a public official in Oneida and Vilas counties, was born at Selma, Green County, Ohio, Nov. 8, 1859, son of Steven and Martha (TAYLOR) SUTTON. The parents, both of whom are now deceased, were natives of New England. John W. was educated at Selma and there grew to manhood. At the age of 21 he came to Saginaw, Mich., and worked in the lumber woods near there for one year. He then came to Wisconsin, locating at Chippewa Falls, and was for three years with the Kelly & Hanney Company, contractors, in railroad construction work. He came to Minocqua in 1887, being one of the very earliest settlers here and erecting the first frame building where the village now stands. He operated a hotel here for three years and then began his long career of public service, being actively engaged in politics from that time until 1911. He was under sheriff during the incumbencies the George E. O'CONNOR, Al BRADFORD, and Joe ELLIOTT, respectively, as sheriff, and was then elected treasurer of Vilas County, serving for two years. After Minocqua and Woodruff became a part of Oneida County he became deputy sheriff and served under Charles CROWFOOT, Hans RODD, and Charles AMUNDSON. In the meantime he had purchased 80 acres of virgin timber land in Section 18 of Minocqua Township and had sold the standing timber off, and in 1911 he engaged in farming on this land, clearing off the stumps and developing it into the fine farm it is today, fully equipped with buildings. In the fall of 1922 he erected a modern barn 32x42 feet in dimensions with a full stone basement eight feet high, and in this he houses his herd of Brown Swiss cattle. He now has a family living on this farm and operating it for him, while he and his wife reside in the village of Minocqua, where they have a fine home beautifully located on Lake Minocqua, and where mr. SUTTON operated a large line of livery boats, including row boats, launches and canoes, and is doing a thriving business. Mrs. SUTTON, previous to her marriage to Mr. SUTTON on Dec. 27, 1906, was Lillian CARPENTER and then, as now, made her home in Minocqua. Mr. and Mrs. SUTTON attend the Baptist Church and are people who stand very high in the estimation of the community in general.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 416,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator