"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Tank, Frank C. proprietor of Tank's Garage at 113-119 S. Stevens Street, Rhinelander, and the owner of some valuable real estate in this city, was born in Milwaukee, Wis., april 26, 1892, son of Frederick and Mary (BRAEMER) TANK, who are still residents of Milwaukee. In that city Frank C. acquired his education, attending the public schools. He began industrial life in the International Harvester factory there, and was thus occupied three years, after which, in 1914, he came to Rhinelander as chauffeur for Charles A. Conro, with whom he remained until April , 1916. He then branched out for himself, starting a garage business in the Lewis hardware storehouse on Davenport Street, and was there located until the fall of 1917, at which time he built a garage of his own at No. 111-119 S. Stevens Street, 50x60 feet in size. His business grew rapidly and in 1920 he built on to his original building an addition of 50x90 feet, and in the spring of 1923 another addition of 57x70 feet, his total floor space being now 11,490 feet. This is the largest garage in Rhinelander and is well equipped in every way. The latest addition is used exclusively as a woodroom and is supplied with all the necessary machinery and implements for the overhauling and repairing of cars. Mr. TANK employs nine skills mechanics and a bookkeeper and is busy day and night during the summer months. The main building contains the office and stock room, sales room and storage. The plant is steam-heated and thoroughly modern and up to date. Mr. TANK handles the Buick car, with its line of accessories, together with gasoline and motor oils. He has made a pronounced success in his line of business and may be called one of the solid men of his town financially speaking. In addition to his garage, he owns the building adjoining it at No. 121 S. Stevens Street, which is occupied by the Noble Sheet Metal Works, and also the lot adjoining that. His residence at 316 Dahl Street he bought in 1921 and he owns another residence property at 1122 River Street; and in addition to that real estate he has purchased the P. O. Means Addition to Rhinelander on the West Side, consisting of 18 lots, one residence and a storehouse. He is also a stockholder in the Oneida National Bank, the Northern Wisconsin Oil Co. and the Laytex Tire Co. of Fond du Lac, Wis., His fraternal society affiliations are with the local lodges of Masons and Elks. Mr. TANK was married Sept. 20, 1921, in Milwaukee, to Ethel GETCHEL, of Rhinelander, and he and his wife are the parents of one child, Frank C., Jr. In July, 1918, Mr. TANK entered the United States service and subsequently trained three months in the Quartermaster's Department at Camp Grant as inspector of motor trucks. He was discharged Sept. 20, 1918, on account of disability.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 343-344,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator