"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Tripp, Frederick R. now deceased, who was a prominent figure in much of the development of Oneida County and was the first chairman of the town of Sugar Camp, was born at Rutland, Vt., July 17, 1855. As a child he came with his parents to Sparta, Wis., where his father was subsequently engaged in railroad construction work for many years. At the age of nine years he too entered this field, becoming a water boy, and he worked in various capacities in railroad construction until 1887. In that year he came to Minocqua, Oneida County. Here he operated the Minocqua Hotel until 1891, and he then took a homestead of 180 acres of water reserve land in what is now the town of Sugar Camp. This land was located on the lake now known as Sugar Camp Lake, which at one time was named Tripp Lake; it was all heavily timbered, but Mr. TRIPP proceeded to make his home there, erecting a log cabin to serve as a temporary residence. For some time he had been impressed with the possibilities offered by this region in the way of a summer resort country, and immediately after settling on his land he established Maple Grove Resort, now known as Sugar Camp. Subsequent developments showed that his vision of the future of this region has not erred; his resort was soon attracting large numbers of vacationists each year, and, following in its lead, other similar places began to spring up. Until 1907 Mr. TRIPP conducted the resort he had established, also operating a general store with it, and then sold out to Knapp & Jones, the present proprietors. He then erected another store building a few rods east of the resort, and he conducted a general store there until his death, which occurred Oct. 23, 1918. The store was subsequently operated by the widow for one year, after which she sold it to Rudolph LARSON. Mr. TRIPP was always devotedly interested in the advancement and progress of his community, and, being a man of far more than ordinary ability, this interest was a most useful one. He donated the land on which the Tripp schoolhouse was erected, and he served on the school board until 1907. As previously mentioned, he was the first chairman of his town. He served for many years as postmaster at Robbins. He was active in securing many new settlers for this region; he superintended the construction of what is now Highway No. 63 from Surgar Camp to Rhinelander, and of County Trunk A from Robbins Centers to Three Lakes, and his progressive and energetic spirit manifested itself in many other movements resulting in permanent benefit to the community. For these things he will always be remembered as one of Oneida County's leading men, and he will live in the hearts of many individuals for the kind deeds he was always ready to perform for his fellow men. His fraternal affiliations were with the B. P. O. E. Lodge No. 598 at Rhinelander.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 345,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator