"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"

Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others. Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill. 787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.


Urbank, August G. an active business citizen of Rhinelander, who for a number of years has been connected with the sales stable business, was born in Germany, Feb. 12, 1869, son of August and Mary (WAUS) URBANK. The family came to America in 1878 and settled in Milwaukee, Wis., where August URBANK, was employed by the Schlitz Brewery Co. He retired from active work in 1907, and is now deceased, but Mrs. Mary URBANK is still living in Milwaukee. Their children were: August G. of Rhinelander; Stephen, deceased; Martha, now Mrs. Thomas KEENEY of Chicago; John of St. Paul; Paul of Milwaukee; Joseph of Chicago; Lilla, who married a Mr. Van NORMAN and lives in Chicago; and Donald, residing in Milwaukee. August G. URBANK, after acquiring his education in Milwaukee, entered the employ of the Wirth-Hamel Co., a firm of horse dealers, in whose stables he worked, and also as city salesman, until 1892. Then in the employ of the same concern he went to Antigo, Wis., where he operated a barn for them for ten years, or until 1902. In that year he and D. HAMEL came to Rhinelander and were associated together until 1905. Mr. URBANK then entered into business with M. D. NEWALD, remaining with him until the fall of 1907, when the partnership was dissolved and Charles M. WIRT became Mr. URBANK'S partner, remaining so up to March, 1922. The business of the firm was the buying and selling of horses, the animals being disposed of to lumber and logging companies and also to new settlers as they came in. From March 10, 1922 until June 1, 1923, Mr. URBANK operated the A. G. URBANK sales stable at 212 S. Stevens Street, on the latter date moving into his new stable, located at the east end of the bridge on W. Davenport Street. The barn measurer 34x90 feet and is of concrete-block construction; it has stable room for 50 head of horses. In addition to the interest connected with his regular business, he owns 100 acres of frontage on Lake Julian; also two good residence properties--one at 603 Randall Avenue and the other at 601 on the same thorofare. He is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Congregation, and also belongs to the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin, the Catholic Foresters, the Eagles and the Modern Woodmen of America. On July 9, 1895, Mr. URBANK was united in marriage at Antigo, Wis., to Katie A. WALK, daughter of Carl and Katherine (LERCH) WALK. Her father is now deceased, but her mother is still living in Antigo. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. URBANK: Adolph S., who served 20 months in the World War as a telegraph operator; and Charles A., who is assistant sales manager for the Rhinelander Paper Co. Mrs. URBANK is like her husband, a member of the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin and the Foresters.

Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 346-347, History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin; Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others 1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co

You are our    [an error occurred while processing this directive]    Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.

© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998, they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use. Individuals may copy the information for their personal use. WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator Judy Groh.