"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Wolfgram, Edward A. man of affairs and the dominant figure of the town of Schoepke, Oneida County, was born in Germany Feb. 24, 1867, son of John and Johanna (HARKE) WOLFGRAM. The parents were natives of Germany and came from that country to the United States in 1880, locating at Lomira, Dodge County, Wis., where they were subsequently engaged in farming; both are now deceased. Edward A. WOLFGRAM attended school through the eighth grade in Germany and came to America with his parents in 1880, locating with them in Lomina, where he completed his education. He remained at home until he was 18 years of age and then, in 1885, took up railroad construction work with the old Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western road, now a part of the Chicago & Northwestern lines, and also with the Wisconsin Central, following this work until 1897. During that period, while with the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western, he made his first trip to Oneida County, in 1886. After leaving railroad work he had charge of a large ice plant at North Lake, Wis., the business being owned by the Wisconsin Lakes Ice and Cartage Co., with headquarters in Milwaukee. After remaining in the employ of this company for three years he came to Oneida County in 1900 and settled at Lenox, in the town of Schoepke, on land which he had purchased in 1898. His holdings consisted of all of Section 14, Township 35 north, Range 11 east. Here he immediately embarked on an extensive program of development, his first step being the erection of a large sawmill. Every building in the village of Lenox has been built and is owned by Mr. WOLFGRAM; these include a large hotel and general store combined, with living quarters, two stories high and a 50x100 feet in dimensions; a garage; 11 residences, and a creamery. Here Mr. WOLFGRAM carries on operations of a scope and multiplicity that no man of only ordinary ability could hope to compass. He is heavily interested in the cutting and retailing of cordwood; he conducts his interests in the village, including the hotel and the store, in which latter he carries a full line of groceries, clothing, boots and shoes, fram machinery, hardware, gasoline, oils, and automobile accessories; he carries on farming on a large scale, owning 700 acres of land, of which 140 acres are under cultivation; for many years he was actively engaged in lumber and sawmill operations; and with all his other interests, he devotes a great deal of his time and attention to the general welfare of the community. He was postmaster of Lenox for eight years and for 12 years he has served as a notary public. His public benefactions include the gift of two acres of land as a site for the new school in District No. 2; the site of the Lenox cemetery, which he maintains at his own expense; and the Lutheran church building and grounds. Not only was the entire expense of the construction of the church borne by him, but he personally provides for all its maintenance and upkeep. He was chairman of his township for several years and by virtue of this office was a member of the Oneida County board of supervisors, and he has also served as township treasurer and as school clerk. He is a stockholder in the First National Bank of Crandon, Wis. Mr. WOLFGRAM employs an average of about 25 men; he uses both a Cleveland and Fordson tractors on his farm, and for haying he has a mower attachment with a six-foot cutter, operated by the tractor. All his farming is carried on along most modern lines, and he has been thoroughly successful in all his operations; his career here has been of marked benefit to the community. Mr. WOLFGRAM was married Jan. 27, 1888, to Bertha KUEHN, who was born at Lomira, Dodge County, Wis., March 16, 1867. Three children, Helen Ida, Clara Helen, and Gertrude F., have been born to Mr. and Mrs. WOLFGRAM. Helen Ida, born Jan. 1, 1890, is now the wife of Otto E. MOLLE, a jeweler of Antigo, Wis., and she and her husband have had three children, Edna (deceased), Louisa and Orrin. Clara Helen, who was born Dec. 4, 1891, is now Mrs. August BREITENGROSS, and she and her husband have two children, Richard and Edward; Mr. BREITENGROSS conducts the Rexall Drug Store at Princeton, Wis. Gertrude F. was born born Dec. 7, 1893, passed away July 21, 1921; she was postmistress at Jennings, Wis., for eight years. It is worthy of note in this sketch that Mrs. WOLFGRAM was baptized, confirmed, and married by the same minister, Rev. John KILLIAN, who also conducted the baptismal services for each of her three children.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 359-360;
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others;
H.C. Cooper Jr. & Co, 1924
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator