A WIGenWeb Project
Lodge Burned to Ground in Fire of Unknown Origin
The large main lodge of Henzler's Squaw Lake Resort was burned to the ground early Tuesday afternoon, in a hot blaze of unkown origin. Mrs. Chrissie Henzler was painfully burned about the face during a fruitless effort to save her business records. All the contents of the lodge, including Mrs. Henzler's personal belongings, perished.
the building was fully covered by insurance. None of the cottages were damaged, and Mrs. Henzler will be in position to care for her quests as usual. She advises that while her records of reservations made have been destroyed, all those who made reservations will be accomodated.
the lodge will be rebuilt immediately.
Returning from a call at a neighbor's about 1:30 o'clock in the afternood, Mrs. Henzler entered the lodge to find the interior ablaze. She believed the fire was started by a small oil stove, though she stated that it was not overheated and contained only a small fire.
The Minocqua fire department was immediately called, but before it could make the 20-mile run the flames were beyond control.
Mrs. Henzler was brought to Dr. T.G. Torpy for tretment for the facial burns
Source: The Lakeland Times, Minocqua Wisconsin, May 3, 1940.
||© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998, they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use. Individuals may copy the information for their personal use. All persons contributing material for posting on these pages does so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission. WIGenWeb Vilas County Coordinator Judy Groh
This page was last updated on --
Thursday, 12-Nov-2009 19:49:31 EST|
Back to the Top