Cemeteries

Burnett County has many cemeteries scattered throughout the county -- some large and some very small, some in populated areas and some that are very rarely seen by human eyes because of their remoteness.  The following is a listing of the cemeteries that I am aware of within this county, along with locations within the various townships (see above map for locations of these townships, aka civil towns).  Over the course of time I will be adding the burial information for some of these cemeteries. 

ANSCARIUS CEMETERY -- Also known as ANSGAARI or ANSGAAR CEMETERY, it is located in the Town of Wood River, near Falun at latitude 454620N / longitude 0923604W.

BENSON CEMETERY -- Also known as RANDALL CEMETERY.  This very small cemetery is located in section 4 of Anderson Township, in an area that at one time was known as "Benson Station" or "Randall P.O."

BIG SAND LAKE CEMETERY -- Also known as the INDIAN RESERVATION CEMETERY, it is located in the Sand Lake Township near the village of Hertel at latitude 454856N / longitude 0921230W.

BLUFF LAKE CEMETERY -- This cemetery is located at the SW corner of the NE 1/4 in section 16 of the Union Township, just south of Bluff Lake.  It was originally part of the Bluff Lake Church, which later closed.

CLAM LAKE CEMETERY -- This cemetery is also located in the Town of Meenon at latitude 454952N / longitude 0922007W.  It was affiliated with the Kruger church which was built on a four corners on mile north of the junction of State Highways 35 & 70.  The church is no longer there.  The small cemetery overlooks Clam Lake.

DANBURY CEMETERY - Separated into 2 pages -  SURNAMES A - J  |  SURNAMES K - Z
This cemetery is located just south of the Village of Danbury in Section 33 of the Town of Swiss. 

DAVIDSON ISLAND CEMETERY -- Located on the southern end of Little Trade Lake, this small island was one of the early cemeteries in Burnett County and contains many unmarked graves.  Read the story here.

EKDALL CEMETERY  -- This cemetery is located in Section 1 of West Marshland Township.  It was started in 1885.  In 1899 a group of people belonging to the Congregational Church bought a church and moved it by the cemetery, where it still stands.  The Ekdall Cemetery Association was organized in June 1941 with Einar Nelson as its president.

FALUN CEMETERY  -- This very small cemetery is located in the Village of Falun in the Town of Wood River.

FOREST HOME CEMETERY  -- Also known as HILLOCK CEMETERY, (probably named after the family who donated the land), and also as EVERGREEN CEMETERY, this  cemetery is located in Blaine Township at Township 42 North, Range 14 West, Section 23.

FREYA CEMETERY  -- This cemetery, located in Section 17 of the Town of Wood River, was started in 1890.  The first person buried there was a child of Mrs. Sophia Combs on 1 April 1891.

GREENDALE CEMETERY -- Also known as GREEN GROVE CEMETERY, it is located in Rusk Township near Poquette Lake.

HILLCREST CEMETERY --  HILLCREST CEMETERY #2  This cemetery is located in the Town of Blaine at Township 42 North, Range 15 West, Section 15.

HOLMES INDIAN CATHOLIC CEMETERY  -- Also known as TRADE RIVER CATHOLIC CEMETERY or just HOLMES CEMETERY, was probably named after the landowner, George Holmes.  This cemetery is located in the northeast corner of Section 36 in the Town of Anderson.

INDIAN CEMETERY -- Supposedly located in Section 22 of the Town of Swiss along the St. Croix River, this is also known as a CATHOLIC CEMETERY.  Maps only show the location of a church where this cemetery is supposed to be.

JACKSON CEMETERY -- Also known as LEEF CEMETERY, it is located in Jackson Township.  This cemetery was platted, blueprinted and recorded around 1953.  All early records were destroyed by fire.

KARLSBORG CEMETERY  -- This cemetery is located in Lincoln Township at latitude 455013N / longitude 0922838W.

LAKETOWN CEMETERY   -- This cemetery is located just across the Burnett County border, just south of the Town of Trade Lake, in the township of Laketown in Polk County.

LAKEVIEW CEMETERY - Separated into 2 pages -  SURNAMES A - K  |   SURNAMES L - Z 
-- This cemetery is located on the eastern edge of the Town of LaFollette.  The Lakeview United Methodist Church, formerly known as the "Log Church," is located in the Town of Dewey, just across the road from this cemetery. 

LAKEWOOD CEMETERY - separated into 4 pages - SURNAMES A - G | SURNAMES H - M |SURNAMES N - R | SURNAMES S - Z  -- Also known as LAKEVIEW CEMETERY, it is located in the Village of Siren. 

LOGGING CREEK CEMETERY -- This cemetery is located in the Town of Anderson (Township 37 North, Range 19 West, Section 21).

LUTHERAN CEMETERY -- Originally known as CHELMO CEMETERY,and also known as SCANDIA CEMETERY, it is located in Section 18 of the Town of Meenon and was affiliated with the church that was built upon the land once owned by L. Chelmo.

MISSION CEMETERY -- This cemetery is located in the Town of Trade Lake, possibly in Section 16 near the Trade Lake Church.

MUD HEN LAKE CEMETERY - separated into 2 pages -  SURNAMES A - K  | SURNAMES L - Z
-- Also known as LAKEVIEW CEMETERY, it is located in Section 21 of Daniels Township.  After the Blanding school was built, the people of the area built the Lutheran Church and purchased land for a cemetery.  The Town of Daniels later purchased more ground for a town cemetery adjoining the Lutheran cemetery, so they were joined together.  In later years, Elmer Eklund was hired by the town to be the caretaker

NORRIS CEMETERY -- Also known as an INDIAN CEMETERY, it is located on the St. Croix River at Benson on the west edge of Anderson Township.

OAK GROVE CEMETERY -- This cemetery is located on the north edge of Webster in the Town of Meenon.

OAKLAND CEMETERY -- This cemetery is located in the Town of Oakland, in Section 14 at the north end of Johnson Lake.

ORANGE CEMETERY -- Also known as LAKESIDE CEMETERY, it is located on the east side of Devil's Lake in Section 34 of the Oakland Township.  The Orange Church was established in 1908 and dedicated in September 1910.  Mrs. Lydia Hardell, mother of Mrs. Hiram Ingalls, wished to be buried by a certain pine tree.  Later, two acres of land at this site were donated by her son, Hiram, for the Orange Cemetery.

PEET CEMETERY -- This cemetery is located near the St. Croix River in Section 21 of West Marshland Township.

PERIDA CEMETERY -- This cemetery is located in the Lincoln Township on the southwest end of Yellow Lake in Section 1.

PLEASANT PRAIRIE CEMETERY  -- This cemetery is located in the Town of Anderson, supposedly in Township 37 North, Range 20 West, Section 26.

RIVERSIDE CEMETERY - separated into 9 pages - SURNAMES A - B | SURNAMES C - F | SURNAMES G - I |   SURNAMES J - K | SURNAMES L - M | SURNAMES N - 0 | SURNAMES P - R |SURNAMES S -T|SURNAMES U - Z -- This cemetery is located in the City of Grantsburg at latitude 454638N / longitude 0924040W. 

SACRED HEARTS CEMETERY -- This cemetery is located in the Town of Scott near McKenzie Lake.

ST. JOHN'S CATHOLIC CEMETERY - separated into two pages -  SURNAMES A - M  |  SURNAMES N - Z
-- This cemetery is right next to Oak Grove Cemetery (listed above) and is located on the north edge of Webster in the Meenon Township. 

ST. OLAF'S CEMETERY  -- Also known as WOOD RIVER CEMETERY, it is located in Section 2 of Anderson Township.

SWISS CEMETERY -- This cemetery is located in the Town of Swiss, latitude 460231N / longitude 0921418W.

THOR CEMETERY  --  Also known as GRETTUM CEMETERY, it is located in Section 23 of the town of Anderson.

TIMBERLAND RINGEBU CEMETERY -- This cemetery is located in Roosevelt Township at Township 37 North, Range 14 West, Section 20.

TRADE RIVER CEMETERY  -- This cemetery is located in Section 36 in the Town of Anderson next to the Trade River.

UNION CEMETERY - separated into two pages -  SURNAMES A - K   SURNAMES L - Z
-- Also known as the SWEDISH BAPTIST CEMETERY, it is located in the Trade Lake Township in Section 33. 

VIOLA LAKE CEMETERY -- This cemetery is located in Sand Lake Township at latitude 454938N/ longitude 0921641W.

WEBB LAKE CEMETERY -- This cemetery is located in Section 23 of Webb Lake Township.  An acre of ground was donated by Haldor Juleson for a cemetery in 1906.  Mrs. Jule Juleson was the first person buried there.

WEST SWEDEN CEMETERY  -- This cemetery is actually located in Polk County.  The Town of West Sweden is located just across the Polk / Burnett County border in the center of the county (just south of the Town of Daniels in Burnett County.

WHITE PINE CEMETERY  -- This cemetery is located in LaFollette township near Warner Lake.  The need arose for a cemetery in this area when the youngest son of the French Baird family, Vernon, died a few days after they arrived here.  Otto Hertel donated a plot for a cemetery.  Anyone living in the White Pine School District could be buried on a free lot in the "White Pine" Cemetery if they wished.  Otto Hertel was buried there in the early 1930s, along with his wife, Lottie, in 1949, son Verne, the Lauders and other residents of the community.

WOLF CREEK CEMETERY  -- This cemetery is actually located in Polk Co., west of Cushing WI, in the Sterling Township.

WOOD LAKE CEMETERY  -- This cemetery is located in the Town of Wood River, Township 38 North, Range 18 West, Section 22.

WOOD RIVER BAPTIST CEMETERY  -- Also known as GRACE BAPTIST CEMETERY, this cemetery is located in Section 17 of the Town of Wood River.

WOOD RIVER CEMETERY   -- Also known as NORWEGIAN CEMETERY, it is located at an area known as Anderson Spur (on the Northern Pacific Railway Line), in Section 22 of the Grantsburg Township.

ZION CEMETERY - separated into two pages - SURNAMES A - I   | SURNAMES J - Z
-- This cemetery is located in the northeast corner of Section 28 in the Town of Trade Lake. 

 

--DISCLAIMER:  The descriptions of the above cemeteries are to the best of my abilities.  The burial records shown on these pages have been transcribed directly from the tombstones.

Last Update Thursday, 16-Jan-2014 23:31:15 EST

 Untitled 1

WIGenWeb State Coordinator:  Tina Vickery
WIGenWeb Assistante State Coordinator:  Marcia Ann Kuehl
Copyright 2010 by the WIGenWeb Team.  All rights reserved.  Copyright of submitted items belongs to those
responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.