Twelve distinct parish
societies were formed at various times in the
history of St. Stanislaus Church. Today, only four
of these societies are active. Nevertheless, all the
societies that originated in the parish are listed
here, since they contributed to the spirit of the
parish at one time or another, whether their
existence was brief or extended. Father Edward
Jagodzinski, the present pastor, is the spiritual
director of the parish societies today.
The Holy Rosary
The first religious
society of St. Stanislaus Church was organized by
Rev. Luke Pescinski in October, 1884. It was the
Holy Rosary Society. No early records have survived
giving the names of the first officers and initial
membership. But in 1894, the parish annual report
reveals that 120 members belonged to this society.
Although it may have been composed of men and women
from the very beginning, it was first in 1903 that
mention is made of men and women membership in this
society. The highest number of members, 165,
belonged to this society in 1905. On June 27, 1950,
it received its national charter. Today, the Holy
Rosary Society counts 130 members. Its present
officers are: Mrs. Roger Faken, president; Mrs.
Felix Swiecichowski, vice-president; Mrs. Arnold
Rozmiarek, secretary; Mrs. Anton Bogacz, treasurer.
THE HOLY ROSARY SOCIETY, 1958
(Seated, 1. to
r.) Mrs. Arnold Rozmiarek, secretary; Mrs.
Roger Faken, president; Mrs. Felix
Swiecichowski, vice-president; Mrs. Anton
Bogacz, treasurer; (Standing) Father Edward
Jagodzinski, O.F.M., spiritual director.
The Third Order of St.
Francis of Assisi
A fraternity of the
Third Order of St. Francis was originally founded at
St. Stanislaus Parish sometime between the years
1890 and 1892, during the pastorate of Father Jerome
Schneider. However, no
more is heard of this group until Father Francis
Manel reorganized it, and received a document for
its canonical foundation on December 10, 1897. The
reorganizational meeting was called on January 6,
1898, with eighteen members in attendance. Names of
the first officers and members of this fraternity
are unknown, since no records have been preserved to
our time. The Third Order reached its highest peak
in membership at Hofa Park in 1931, when forty-two
tertiaries were listed. On April 16, 1933, another
document of canonical erection was issued, since the
first one perished. In March, 1955, an attempt was
made to form an English branch of the Third Order
fraternity at St. Stanislaus Parish, particularly to
attract young parishioners to this Order for Lay
Catholics. But this effort met with little success.
The present number of tertiaries in the Polish
branch is eight.
(1st row, 1. to
r.) Audrey Jach, Arlene Jarosinski, Carol
Palubicki, Patricia Ho!ewinski, Mary Palubicki,
Sandra Sawicki, Janet Bogacz.
(2nd row) Marsha
Majewski, Colleen Faken, Rose Baranczyk, Anne
Holewinski, Sister M. Valmira, Rev. Edward
Jagodzinski, O.F.M., Dorothy Zablocki,
Rosemary Baranczyk, Marjorie Ratajczak, Grace
St. Cecilia Society
On August 15, 1897,
Father Francis founded the St. Cecilia Society, with
an initial membership of twelve. The purpose of this
group seemed to have been to provide a steady flow
of talented and devout singers for the parish choir.
No list of first officers was recorded by Father
Today, this society is
simply known as St. Cecilia Choir. It is composed of
the young ladies and women of the parish.
Sodality of the
Blessed Virgin Mary
This society for the
young ladies of the parish was variously named in
the history of the parish. It was first organized on
June 1, 1898, by Father Manel under the title of the
"Society of the Immaculate Heart of Mary,' and
numbered twenty-two members in its first year.
reorganized this group on December 9, 1904, and
called it the "Immaculate Conception Society for
Young Ladies." The next year it enjoyed its greatest
membership in the history of the parish, reaching
the total of sixty-three. It was Father Jeka who
first called it the "Young Ladies Sodality" in 1906.
In 1927, Father
Celestine Wisniow-ski petitioned for the affiliation
01 the sodality with the Prima Primariae of the
Roman College, and received the document of
canonical erection on February 22, 1927.
Today, the Sodality of
the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin
Mary is composed of forty-one young ladies. The
secondary patron is St. Therese, the Little Flower
of Jesus. Officers during the diamond jubilee year
are: Marcia Majewski, president; Mary Palubicki,
vice- president; Rita Holewinski, secretary; and
Joan Vanderloop, treasurer.
OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION, 1958
(Standing, 1. to
r.) Joan Vanderloop, treasurer; Rita
Holewinski, secretary; (Seated, 1. to r.)
Marcia Majewski, president; Fr. Edward
Jagodzinski, O.F.M., spiritual director; Mary
St. Stanislaus Kostka
This society for boys
and young men of the parish was another of those
founded by Father Francis Manel. It dates its
beginning to May 7, 1898, with an initial membership
of thirty-four. In 1905, it numbered fifty-four
members, the highest in its history. It ceased to
exist in 1946, being gradually absorbed by the Holy
Name Society, which had been recently founded in
St. Joseph Society
An offshoot of many
similar parochial, sick and death benefit societies
organized in the last quarter of the nineteenth
century in the Catholic parishes of the United
States, St. Joseph Society came into being at St.
Stanislaus Church on November 1, 1898, again during
the pastorate of Father Manel. Thirty-two men of the
parish belonged to it during that year.
This society reached
its greatest peak in 1987 with sixty-four members.
It was never and is still not affiliated with any
Polish, fraternal, insurance or benefit organization
in the country. It is purely local in nature, and
pays out a definite sickness and death benefit to
its members or their survivors.
Present membership in
this society is forty-seven men. Its officers for
the year 1958 are: Herman Lasecki, president;
Valentine Majewski, vice-president; Louis Tyczkowski,
secretary; and Frank Bluma, treasurer.
Apostleship of the
Called by Father Manel
the "Confraternity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus,"
this society was organized by him on December 25,
1898, with ninety-five parishioners joining the
first year. Father Malkowski and Father Jeka
referred to it as the "League of the Apostleship of
the Sacred Heart" or the "Apostolate of Prayer."
In 1905, it numbered
124 members, but it is not listed in parish records
St. Raphael and St.
On Sunday, Oct. 10,
1915, Messrs. Grutza and Kielpinski, president and
director respectively of the Polish Association of
America, came from Milwaukee to Hofa Park to
organize a local group at St. Stanislaus Church. An
organizational meeting was held after the parish
high Mass, and with the encouragement of Father
Fridolin and Joseph Matejko, the parish organist, a
number of parishioners joined this Polish fraternal
In 1917, this group at
Hofa Park called itself the St. Raphael Benevolent
Society, and numbered sixty members. Next year, ten
more members were accepted. In 1919, a junior group
of this society was formed, with an initial
membership of fifteen. The name of the junior group
was St. Michael Society. However, no record of
either society appears in the parish files after
Guardian Angel Society
A society for all of
the school children of the parish was formed by the
Sisters of St. Joseph in 1923. The dues were ten
cents a year. From this fund, Masses were celebrated
on the feasts of the Guardian Angels (October 2) and
Holy Innocents (December 28), as well as on other
particular occasions throughout the year. Certain
prayers were said daily by the children in the
This society ceased to
exist in 1928.
St. Albin Society,
On November 27, 1932,
the installation of officers of the St. Albin
Soiety took place at St. Stanislaus School Hall.
This was a local branch of the Polish Roman Catholic
Union of America (PRCU). The secretary of this group
at Hofa Park was Anthony Tyczkowski in 1932. This
group existed at Hofa Park for some years, but is
Holy Name Society
In 1944, Father
Crispin Nowakowski induced eighty-nine men of St.
Stanislaus Parish to form a local group of the
national Holy Name Society. Besides the monthly
reception of the sacraments and participation in
Holy Name rallies, and other spiritual activities,
this society also staged church benefit minstrel
shows during the early years of its existence. On
November 17, 1947, the St. Stanislaus Holy Name
Society received its national charter.
Two hundred and
sixty-eight parishioners were enrolled in this
society since it was organized at St. Stanislaus
Church. Today, its present membership is 185. Its
officers for 1958: Felix Swiecichowski, president;
Frank Wozniak, vice-president; Anthony Baranczyk,
secretary; and Eugene Smith, treasurer.