Part of the WIGenWeb Project

Keeping Internet Genealogy Free

Photo of Resort

Wednesday January 14, 1903

   The death of William H. Bradley, the well known millionaire lumberman of Tomahawk occurred last Wednesday afternoon at his Milwaukee home, where since the death of his wife in November he had spent the greater share of his time. For years he had been in poor health and the past several weeks was under a doctor's care.
   On Monday, previous to his death he was married to Miss Marie Hannemeyer of Tomahawk, who for the past fifteen years had acted as his private secretary, and who perhaps is better acquainted with his extensive business affairs than any one else. The ceremony was performed at his home in the afternoon by Judge Halsey, with Mr. Bradley seated in his chair, unable to stand during the brief service, in fact he was for some time prior to his death unable to leave his chair or lie down.
   Mr. Bradley was sixty five years of age and was considered one of the wealthiest lumbermen in the state. He was a native of Bangor, Maine where his father was for years a successful lumberman. He came to Wisconsin in the early sixty's engaged in the lumbering business at Janesville and Oshkosh. He amassed a large fortune and in later years founded the city of Tomahawk. Here he organized the Tomahawk Land and Boom Co. Built a dam to control the water power, erected a saw mill and a modern hotel, started a newspaper, opened a general store, and became one of the principal stockholders in the Marinette, Tomahawk & Western R'y with over sixty lines of roadway and also hold large interests in the Soo and Milwaukee roads. He was heavily interested in several other lumber and land companies. For the city of his founding he had done a great deal, contributing liberally of his wealth for the maintenance of her schools churches and hospital. He was generous and charitable, as well as enterprising and public spirited and the whole of Northern Wisconsin as well as Tomahawk mourns his taking away.
   The funeral services were conducted at Milwaukee Saturday, the remains in compliance to his wishes expressed shortly before he died, being cremated at Forest Home cemetery.

The election of a new Fire Chief is made necessary by the resignation of Chief John Didier, which was accepted at the recent council meeting. At present there are three competent candidates for the position, all of which have been prominently connected with the fire-fighting force at various times. They are Geo. Fenning, who is captain at present. Al. Lytle who for a number of years was a member of the department, and Dempster Cole, for several years driver of Hose wagon No. 1. The vacancy caused by Mr. Didier's resignation will likely be filled at the next meeting of the council. Until such time Captain Fenning will be in charge. Mr. Didier resigns the position for the reason that the present year he expects to be absent from the city much of the time, thus being unable to give the duties of the office proper attention.

On Friday last while I. S. Baxter was loading a quarter of beef onto a sleigh from the Armour refrigerator, he lost his footing and fell heavily the beef falling on top of him. When he attempted to get up he found that in the fall he had broken his left leg just above the ankle, and it was necessary to remove him to his home. Dr. Packard was called and the injured limb was placed in a cast, where it will have to remain for several weeks.


A stabbing affray took place Saturday afternoon in Wilhelm's saloon on Brown street, and fifteen minutes later Officer Matteson had the man who did the cutting under lock and key. The story of the stabbing is told by the bar-tender in the saloon as follows: The two principals both Fins, had come in from camps out on the Soo Line Thursday, and from then until early Saturday morning had enjoyed rather a riotous life, spending their earnings freely for liquor, and apparently were on the best of terms. Saturday afternoon the pair lined up before the bar to have another drink, when one informed the other that he wished to borrow $5 as he was all in. In reply he was told that a dollar was the most that he could have, as he too was getting short. No further words passed between them, but like a flash the would be borrower drew a knife and plunged it into the breast of his companion and departed. The wounded man was carried into a room in the rear of the saloon and the police notified. Chief of police Matteson at once commenced a search of the rooms up stairs and soon found the brute lying upon his face upon the floor where he had thrown himself in order to give the impression that he was in a drunken stupor. The bar-tender cautioned the officer to beware of him as he would use a knife on him, and that he was like a tiger. He showed little resistance however when the bracelets were slipped onto his wrists and he walked to the lock-up in a manner which showed him to be perfectly sober. The wounded man was able to sit up Monday, and unless complications arise from his wound will have fully recovered from its effects in a few days.

Phoenix Lodge, No. 33 Knights of Pythias, held its final meeting last Monday evening, at which time it was decided to disband and surrender its charter after an existence of nearly 20 years, having been organized Feb. 14, 1883. Of the twenty-two charter members, J. D. Curran, M. Wadleigh, E. McGlachin, Emmons Burr, W. B. Buckingham, Geo. L. Rogers and J. R. Congdon reside in this city, E. R. Herren at Fond du Lac, Chas.Chafee, D. H. Vaughn and W. E. Brown at Rhinelander, W. A. Roe and S. B. Coleman at Sodas Center, N.Y.S. Wight in Chicago, A. W. Sanborn at Ashland, F. G. Kirwan in St. Louis, A.P. Vaughn in Washington, and the others are dead - Stevens Point GAZETTE

  • -Russell Didier was absent last Friday
  • -Miss Blanche Matteson was absent last Thursday on account of sickness
  • -Miss Jessie Decker has withdrawn from school and returned to her home at Hazelhurst
  • -Edward Malone was absent last week because of a severe cold. He returned to school Monday
  • -Miss Jennie Loveless returned to school last week after two days absence on account of illness
  • -Miss Lemie Melton returned to school last Wednesday after two weeks visit with her parents at Hazelhurst
  • -John Binder was in the city on business Saturday
  • -Mr and Mrs W. D. Joslin made a trip to Dunbar Thursday
  • -E. O. Brown left last night on a business trip to Milwaukee
  • -Jack Orr of Merrill is in the city this week transacting business
  • -Mrs. B. F. Jillson of Monico was the guest of friends in the city Friday
  • -Mrs Pete Meigher left Saturday for her new home at Ironwood, Mich
  • -George McLaughlin of Pelican spent Sunday in the city with his family
  • -Miss Anna Adams is quite ill this week suffering with a severe attack of La Grippe
  • -Mrs. Kleckner returned to her home at Woodruff Thursday, after a brief visit with friends
  • -Mrs. C. R. Lee returned Wednesday night from an extended visit at her home in Berlin, Wis.
  • -Tom Morrison has gone to Pelican Lake where he expects to remain through the winter.
  • -L. B. Billings departed Sunday for Lancaster, Wis., where he will attend to business affairs for a few days
  • -Mr and Mrs John Barnes expect to make an extended trip through the southern states in the near future
  • -Sam Anderson left Saturday for Minneapolis, where he has secured employment in a large cigar factory
  • -Seth Kimball has been awarded the contract of furnishing wood for the schools, having submitted the lowest bid.
  • -Mr and Mrs Geo. Mason returned to their homes in Madison Thursday night, after a stay in the city of several days.
  • -Miss Jennie McDermott of Merrill arrived last Wednesday night to accept a position as compositor on the New North.
  • -Chas Harrigan was down from his camp at Minitowish Monday, buying supplies and attending to other business matters
  • -Ed CinqMars who recently went to Minnesota to take up a homestead arrived in the city Saturday called here by the serious illness of his father.
  • -Mr and Mrs H. I. Crawford are now comfortably settled in the Cowan cottage on Rives street, recently vacated by Mr and Mrs S. T. Walker.
  • -Jason Miller one of our young farmers, has delivered to city residents this winter over 250 cords of wood. Prices have ranged from $4.00 to $5.50
  • -Miss Grace Hartwick who for the past year has been with the lumber firm of Wixson & Bronson as stenographer, left Wednesday night for her home in Michigan.
  • -Mrs. Geo. Rummery of Lac du Flambeau brought her little daughter to the city last week, to receive medical treatment at St. Mary's hospital. The child is about four years of age and has been very sick with scarlet fever. She is reported to be on the gain at this writing.
  • -Jason Miller came near losing a valuable heifer last week by drowning. Mr. Miller had driven to town from his farm with a load of wood, and s hortly after he left home the heifer was missed from the herd. Upon his return the search was renewed, and the animal found in a near by lake struggling to keep its head above water. It had been in the water for hours after breaking through the ice. After being rescued the animal was given every care and is reported non the worse for its icy bath.
  • -C.H. Roepeke has installed a new sewing machine in his harness shop. Chris believes in being up to date.

Louis Lindstrom was arrested out on the Soo Line to-day while endeavoring to escape the law. Several days ago a warrant was issued charging him with the larceny of $68 from person of a fellow-workman, while engaged with a surfacing crew near Gagen. Since then he has evaded the officers by hiding on the North Side of the city. Last night he stole a watch and boarded the Soo Limited. The officers were notified and by the aid of the wires he was headed off and will be returned by Sheriff Kearns to answer to the double charge.

Michael Didier one of the old residents of this city passed away at his home last Thursday morning at the age 77 years. The direct cause of his death was asthma, with which he had suffered for several years. Up to within six years Mr. Didier was a strong, robust man, but at that time he suffered a slight stroke of appoplexy and since had been in poor health, for some weeks prior to his death being closely confined to his home. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Father Schmitz at the Catholic church on Saturday at 10 o'clock. Deceased is survived by a wife, three sons, six grandchildren, two brothers and three sisters. Mr. Didier was a native of Luxemburg, Germany and at the age of 30 came to this country, and settled at Kenosha. Later he went to Muskegan, Mich., and with a cruising crew located some of the big mines in the northern part of that state. He came here in the early days with his sons and established the Rhinelander Iron Works which is still operated successfully by his sons. His death will be regretted by those who knew him best. He was a good man, devoted to his quiet home life and had many friends who sympathized with him through his long sickness, and who now that he has gone from t his earth, extend sympathy to the bereaved wife and family in their hour of mourning.


Francis E. Morey shot and killed himself at Grand Rapids by placing a 36-caliber revolver in his mouth and sending a bullet upward through his head while lying in his bed at home. His wife rushed into his room when she heard the report and found him breathing his last, whereupon she hurried in her night clothes to the Dixon house close by for assistance. Morey came from Chicago in August to do a heavy real estate business and to all appearances was making money fast. It is alleged that his business affairs were badly tangled and this drove him to do this desperate deed. He was married in the latter part of October to Miss Hopkins of Edgerton, who survives him.

A dispute over 15 cents' worth of wood resulted in the death of William Latimer at Fairchild. The wood in question was purchased by Latimer from Mrs. Kosibo and the latter's stepson got into a quarrel over the amount of wood given for 15 cents and it is alleged struck Latimer over the head with a club, crushing the skull. A nail in the club penetrated the man's brain and he died after lingering for several days. Young Kosibo is being held under $2,000 bonds for his hearing. He claims self-defense.

While funeral services were being held in the Methodist Episcopal Church at Marshfield over the remains of G. A. Lupient, an old soldier, a defective furnace set fire to the floor directly under the casket. A rush for the doors was made, and the coffin was carried out over the seats. When the cortege was returning from the graveyard the Rev. Mr. McKinney, the officiating pastor, was struck by a runaway team and sustained serious injuries.

Mr. Andrew and Albert David, two brothers and well-known residents of Kenosha, started on a hunting trip through Racine and Kenosha counties, and when but a couple of miles from Burlington Albert accidentally shot his brother Andrew in the leg, shattering the ligaments. Dr. Prouty did all in his power for the injured man, but he rapidly weakened and died. The shooting was purely accidental.

  • -Frozen water pipes caused an explosion in the kitchen range at the home of Seth Fisher in Janesville and Mr. Fisher was badly cut by a piece of the stove
  • -Henry Lawson, one of the most prominent and prosperous farmers of the town of Mackford, committed suicide by shooting himself through the heart with a shotgun
  • -John Duffy, formerly a prominent farmer in Brodhead, but for some years past a resident of Baird, Iowa, was killed with his daughter by being run down by a train.
  • -William Daly, of Baraboo, a brakeman on the Northwestern Railway, was killed at the Janesville roundhouse while attempting to get on a moving engine. He was 25 years of age.
  • -The plant of the Charles Abresch Company, carriage manufacturers at 392-98 Fourth street, Milwaukee, was destroyed by fire, causing a loss of $100,000. The fire was discovered in the repair shop in the rear of the main building and spread so rapidly that the firemen were unable to save one carriage.
  • -Fire entirely destroyed the creamery of A. C. Krethow at Cottage Grove, with all the machinery it contained, besides a large supply of butter which was stored in the building. The loss is $5,000, insured for only one-half.
  • -Two freight trains on the Chicago and Northwestern road collided at Eden. Engineer Frank Gimmell of the fast freight was caught between a lever and the cab and was scalded by steam from a broken pipe. He was rescued and cared for at Fond du Lac and will recover. His fireman and the crew of the extra freight jumped and escaped injury.
  • -R. Helm, a homesteader near Three Lakes, while engaged in sawing a tree down was struck by a falling limb and killed.
  • -Two bullets from a mysterious source entered the windows of John Humberg at LaCrosse, narrowly missing his daughter Edna.
  • -Arthur Montange and Charles Andrews were discovered unconscious from escaping gas in D. C. Tanner's mill in Baraboo. Both were saved with difficulty.
  • -C. W. Hanson, station agent for the Milwaukee road at Duplainville, was struck and killed while riding on his railway velocipede about a mile east of Pewaukee.
  • -At North Fond du Lac James LaFlure was seriously burned about the face and hands by the explosion of coal gases that had accumulated in the furnace in his house
  • -Christian Barber, aged 74 years, of Greenfield, was given a coal stove for a Christmas present, and, not understanding how to regulate it, was suffocated by the fumes.
  • -Carl Bluhm, an employee of the Janesville Barb Wire Company, had a darning needle three inches long removed from his thigh. Bluhm is supposed to have taken the needle into his body through his mouth.
  • -A runaway team of horses crashed into a Washington avenue street car in Racine, seriously injuring S. F. Christianson, the motorman, killing one of the horses, wrecking the car and creating a panic among the passengers.
  • -Mathias Kapellan, a shoe dealer at Neillsville, has filed a petition in bankruptcy with the clerk of the United States Court at La Crosse. He schedules his liabilities at $46,637.11 and his assets amount to $1,458. Many firms throughout the State are involved in the loss.
  • -One of the pet dogs of Mr and Mrs Hans Olson, living nine miles from Racine, attacked their 5-year-old daughter, tearing one of her arms terribly, biting flesh out of her side and lacerating her cheek. A 15-year-old brother of the girl happened to discover the dog tearing the child to pieces. Securing a pitchfork he went at the beast, which turned on him. After a fight of fifteen minutes the boy killed the dog without having been bitten once. The girl will recover.
  • -W. H. Bradley, the wealthy lumberman, who married his private secretary, Mary Hannemyer, died at Milwaukee. Mr. Bradley was taken ill some weeks ago. He went to attend the funeral of his first wife, who died about the middle of November, and was taken sick with liver trouble. Mr. Bradley was born in Maine sixty-five years ago, and came West when Wisconsin was a young State. He began lumbering in a small way at Oshkosh, and then formed a company and began operations near Muskegon, Mich. Estimates of his wealth run from $3,000,000 to $10,000,000. Mr. Bradley was the founder of the town of Tomahawk.
  • -John Mitchel, a well-known farmer of the town of Merton, was killed while attempting to load a log of wood on a wagon to carry it to the sawmill. He and his son were lifting the log when it slipped and fell, crushing his skull.
  • -William Wermuth, a farmer living east of La Crosse, had an exciting encounter with a wildcat while hunting small game. The wildcat missed and prepared for another spring when Wermuth put a bullet into it. This broke the force of the spring, but the wildcat had to be shot again before giving up the ghost.
  • The court martial which is to try Major E. F. Glenn of the Fifth Infantry at Manila, decided to summon Gens. Chaffee and Smith from the United States as witnesses. Major Glenn is charged with willfully killing seven prisoners of war, to the prejudice of good discipline and in violation of the sixty-second article of war.

Back to Top of Page

HOME |  Bio-Index |  Books |  Census |  Cemetery |  Directories |  Genealogy Soc. |  Historical Soc. |  History |  Libraries |  Maps |  Obits |  Municipalities |  Newspapers |  Surnames |  Vital Records | 

Floral Bouquet © Copyright: All files on this website are protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998, they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use. Individuals may copy the information for their personal use. All persons contributing material for posting on these pages does so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission.     WIGenWeb Oneida County Coordinator Judy Groh WIGenWeb Project

last edited 12 Nov 2009