Seventy miles long, and 18 miles wide at the southern edge, the Door County Peninsula has more miles of coastline, more state parks, and more lighthouses than any other county in the United States. The water of Lake Michigan borders its eastern shore while on the westward side Green Bay separates it from the mainland. Kewaunee County lies to the south. The county emcompasses 477.7 sq. miles with some 250 miles of shoreline.
Washington Island lies off the tip of the peninsula and was once home to the Potawatomi, who moved into the area after most of the Winnebago there died from contact with the French and their diseases. The Potawatomi farmed land near the ancient effigy mounds built by earlier indian tribes. The treacherous currents between the top of the peninsula and Washington Island were described by the French as Porte des Morts, Death’s Door, where many ships have sunk trying to cross the straights, and from which Door County got its name.
Message Boards for Door County
Door County Libraries
The Door County Library system has eight branches, from Forestville in the south to Washington Island in the north. The main branch is in Sturgeon Bay.
Locations and Hours are here.
Library resources are here.
- Baileys Harbor Branch - 2392 Highway F, Baileys Harbor, 54202, (920) 839-2210
- Egg Harbor Branch - 7860 Highway 42, Egg Harbor, 54209, (920) 868-2664
- Ephraim Branch - 9996 Water Street, Ephraim, 54211, (920) 854-2014
- Fish Creek Branch - 4097 Main Street, Fish Creek, 54212, (920) 868-3471
- Forestville Branch - 123 Highway 42, Forestville, 54213, (920) 856-6886
- Sister Bay Branch - Bay Shore Drive, Sister Bay, 54234, (920) 854-2721
- Sturgeon Bay Library - 107 South 4th Ave, Sturgeon Bay, 54235, (920) 743-6578
- Washington Island Branch - Main and Lakeview Roads, Washington Island, 54246, (920) 847-2323
Online Door County
Door County Advocate - First published in 1862.
Door County Vacations
Wisconsin Photo Gallery
The Political Graveyard
Door County Maritime Museum
Historic places to explore in Wisconsin
Official Door County Website
The Earthen Dove Effigy Mound
Books of Wisconsin
The August 23, 1998 Door County Tornado
National Weather Service Green Bay
Door County Lookups
- 1977 tombstone index for Door County cemeteries
- 1910 censux index
- 1881 History of Door County together with biographies of nearly 700 families & mention of 4,000 persons, by Chas I Martin - INDEX
- History of Door County, WI the County Beautiful, by Hjalmar R Holand, Volumes 1 & 2 - INDEX
- Early Door County Marriage Index
Door County Resources
- Local men & women who served in the armed forces during
WWII from Door County, WI.
County, Civil War Gold Star List
County World War I Gold Star List
County, World War II Gold Star List
County, Korean War Gold Star List
County, Vietnam War Gold Star List
- Door County, Operation Iraqi Freedom Gold Stars
- Door County, Post Offices in 1886 and 1939
- Penny Postcards ~ Door
- Index of Illustrated Atlas of Door County Wisconsin
Published by Randall & Williams Oshkosh, Wis 1899
- History Of Door County, Wisconsin, Together With Biographies Of Nearly Seven Hundred Families, And Mention Of 4,000 Persons - includes links scans of the book.
Door County Cemetery Resources
Door County Census Resources
Door County Family Web Pages
- Uttech (Pommern
to Lincoln County, Wisc., History of Merrill and St.Paul's Lutheran
Church and information on Moegenburg and Dorn)
(Pommern to Door County, Wisc. with information on Mueller, Bonin,
Koepsel, Rove(Rowe), Zahn, Schultz, Hinz, Vandrey and Gross
Door County Maps
Door County Vital Records