A few things to remember about this index is:
- In the early years many could neither read nor write.
- The person filling out the forms spelt things the way THEY thought they should be spelt.
- Through the years the spelling of names in our area have changed.
- It was not mandatory to register a death in the early years.
- There are pages in the volumes that have never been used - skipped for whatever reason.
- Information on early records was sometimes incomplete or illegible.
- Believe it or not some people have more than one death certificate.
- Some babies were not named.
- Some married women were only listed as Mrs John Doe not using their given name.
- Sometimes the actual death date was not filled in so I have put the date of recording in to give an idea of time.
- I am human and make mistakes.
Without the help and co-operation of the staff at the Register of Deeds office at the Door County Courthouse, this project would never have been completed. THANK YOU.